Monday, September 20, 2010

Live from Nashville, TN!

Ok, I have decided to join the world of blogging. (we shall see how long this lasts)

Well last Friday I decided to take the day off and was planning a nice relaxing 3 day weekend. I knew my parents were going to Nashville to visit my little brother and I was even taking care of their cats. My Mom told me they were leaving around noon on Friday...well at about 11 am I decided I REALLY wanted to go to Nashville! I had not seen my brother in a month and I missed him. So I tried calling my Mom...problem was she was at the doctor, and Dad was on a conference call for work. Hmm how can I go to Nashville? 


Eventually my Mom called back...sure I could come! BUT they were leaving from Downtown Columbia as soon as  she was done at the doctor. So i quickly called Stephen..I want to go to Nashville...do you care and oh yeah can you take care of my parents cats? Well trooper that he is (sometimes) with all my last minute stuff he said sure. I threw some stuff in a duffle took the quickest shower of my life, grabbed my cowboy boots (hello Nashville!) and met Stephen outside our house. OH YEAH I also convinced him to drive me downtown over his lunch break . Well fortunately my Dad's work call ran late and we met Mom at McDonald's and I said goodbye to hubby for the weekend. Eventually Mom, Dad and I left Columbia.


Well we hit two REALLY LONG delays on the way to Nashville that upset our dinner plans. But we enjoyed the trip...I think this was the first trip I had been on with just both my parents since before my little brother was born! AND  I had the WHOLE back seat of their car to myself!! (lately I have had to share with Stephen and Luke).  On the way to Nashville I said come on we have to listen to some country music! and Mom said oh yeah..maybe we can hear "the boys of fall" which she now loves. Dad turned on the radio and the first song we heard was  Craig Morgan's song "this aint nothing". Now  I have loved this song over the summer but over the weekend it grew to mean more.


It became our inside joke if you will...everything we might complain about...waiting in line for an hour in the hot sun at the pancake place, Dad would say "this aint nothing" ouch my feet hurt "this aint nothing". Sunday Luke was excited to take us to his Nashville church called Forward Church. They meet in what is at night a bar and music venue in downtown. Luke has met a guy who is homeless who goes to his church, and  seeing all the homeless and hearing Luke talk about his new friend really opened my eyes, and my heart. 


The night before we went to a "Christian Showcase" of Belmont students (and man all those kids at Belmont are VERY musically talented!) one of the singer/songwriters shared his testimony of being a drug addict/alcoholic and being homeless until he went to a mission and met people who led him to the Lord. Now he is a Junior at Belmont University! I can't even imagine the courage it took for him to just apply to college! And I realized  I take too much for granted. Yes, I might struggle to pay all my bills sometimes and be frustrated with my job sometimes but "this aint nothing"!!


I know that I want to be in control of my life but really I'm not. I may not understand why certain things are not working out for us right now and become very upset, even depressed. But this weekend has opened my eyes to what I've known all along....GOD IS IN CONTROL! He has a plan for my life, He knows what job I should be doing, what my husband will do, if he will go back to school, get a better job etc. Even if we will be blessed with a child. 


These are things I struggle with everyday, and things I try to control and shape on my own. But I can't do it without HIM! I just need to trust in the Lord and let him lead me/us on our lives. I pray that God will give me strength to trust Him and the courage to do so. Because I know that "this aint nothing" God has a plan for us and all my worries and struggles are nothing. I am so glad I got out of Columbia and experienced something I didn't think I would at Family Weekend at Belmont University.

1 comment: