Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sexy Sadie and the long and winding road to recovery

Well it has been almost 3 weeks since Sadie had her knee surgery and she is doing wonderful! She hated every second she was forced to wear the cone but we knew we had to force her so she wouldn't tear her stitches. We started to do slight range of motion exercises and very short walks around our yard to keep her from complete muscle atrophy. We spent some time at my parents' house and took Sadie with us. She laid on the couch and accepted any pets her Grandparent's had to offer. Even demanding them at some points. One night we were there with just my Mom because my Dad was out of town on business; we ate dinner while Sadie was on the couch and then my Mom went to sit on the couch. Sadie immediately stood up and made her way to my Mom's side putting her front paws on her lap and laying her head down. It was SOO sweet! My Mom has always loved Sadie but was able to witness the truth in our saying how sweet and cuddly she really is. In the past Sadie was always very hyper and jumpy around my parents....maybe she is growing up! Well we will see anyway. ...

Last Friday was a wonderful day, Sadie and I took a trip further into Elgin and got her stitches out! The vet said he had never seen a dog do so well in recovery from this surgery as Sadie has done. I was so happy and proud. The doctor and all the employees at the animal hospital LOVE Sadie! She is not so sure about them though....at least not anymore...Not long after her surgery we had to take her back to the hospital to spend the day as a patient due to a side effect from her antibiotics. Poor girl was having awful diarrhea and her rear was very uncomfortable and inflamed. They took care of her and gave her some new medicines to combat this side effect and we took extra care to keep her clean after potty with baby wipes. It was a rough couple days but she is all better now.



So now Sadie is allowed to take 15 minute walks that can include some hills and we go back for a recheck in another week (4 weeks post op). She thinks she is all better and has taken to being sneaky when we allow her some freedom from her crate...sometimes she will suddenly appear in the kitchen when we left her on the couch..or even worse we find her on our bed! She is not supposed to jump up or down anything yet, but I think she is okay. She is certainly a very ornery dog (much like her Mom I know LOL). I am ready for her to be better but I can tell she is already better than before the surgery!! She has some of her "beardie bounce" back and it makes my heart so happy! I don't know what I would do without my three wonderful dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment